Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort introduces tapas Thursdays
The beachside Bar Bleu at the Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort on the delightful south coast of Mauritius has introduced Thursday night tapas with live entertainment.
The Outrigger chefs welcome guests and Mauritian residents to sample a mouth-watering selection of Spanish, Mexican, Italian, Greek, Mauritian and Asian small plates, designed to accompany the guest’s beverage of choice.
The tapas experience at the Outrigger is the latest culinary innovation at a resort whose reputation for varied and innovative dining has spread beyond the shores of Mauritius to Europe and Asia.
“At the Outrigger, we like to let our chefs express themselves,” says Cyrille Carmona, general manager at the resort. “They have enjoyed creating a variety of exquisite, tapas plates themed to cuisines around the world.”
Visitors can help themselves to an unlimited number of international small plates such as smoked meats with olives, artichoke hearts, chili con carne, octopus salad with poppadum, lamb meatballs, prawn with tom yammayonnaise and albondigas with spicy tomato sauce.
Tapas plates are said to have originated in 13th century Spain when King Alfonso X was only allowed small amounts of food and wine while recovering from illness. So successful was his return to health that he passed a law that no wine should be served in taverns without food.
Some say the decree was meant to encourage peasants to eat food with wine and not spend their meagre earnings on wine only, which affected their productivity.
Tapas are served 7-10 p.m. every Thursday at the Outrigger with live entertainment from Gino 7-9 p.m. The tapas experience is MUR1850 ($54/€44/£38) for adults, MUR1295 ($37/€30/£27) for teens and MUR500 ($14/€12/£10) for children.
Guests staying on half board, full board or all-inclusive meal plans can enjoy the tapas evening complimentary (upon reservation).
Tapas adds to acclaimed dining scene at Outrigger Mauritius
The new Thursday tapas complements the existing food and beverage options at the Outrigger, including:
- The Plantation Club – the only modern Creole fine-dining restaurant in a five-star resort on the island
- Willy’s Rum & Crab Shack — informal seafood in a relaxed setting with highlights such as crab buckets and crab nachos
- The Garden by Moustache – a rustic garden-to-table concept with guests choosing their own vegetables for outdoor ‘home-cooked’ specials by chef
- Edgewater – an ‘a la carte beach’ restaurant with a feet-in-the-sand experience only a few metres from the water (also great for healthy breakfasts)
- Mercado – a market dining concept where kids can experience their own private dining corner served by mini club hosts whilst parents enjoy live cooking stations from around the world
- Charcuterie by Pascal — the master butcher’s corner where all the cuts are freshly prepared daily and where homemade bresaola and other fine cuts are available
- Rouben’s Cellar — a unique cheese and wine pairing experience
- Bar Bleu Tapas night – Mediterranean lifestyle and international delicacies brought to you every Thursday at the resort’s main bar with live entertainment in a very relaxed atmosphere
- Pastries and more — Pastry Chef Karounen and his crew prepare daily freshly baked breads, crispy croissants and a selection of wicked desserts served at the French bakery corner in Mercado and around the resort.